Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Kennedy First United Methodist Church, Kennedy, NY     space          Pastor, Jennifer Delahoy

Dove

What doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

- Micah 6:8

 

space

Kennedy United Methedist Church Sunday Services



The Methodist Society began holding meetings in 1844 in Kennedy. The Union Free Church, formerly the Poland Free Church, allowed the Methodist Society and other denominations to meet in their building. In July of 1878, a meeting was held to elect the trustees of the Methodist Society. A vote was called and the Kennedy Methodist Episcopal Church was born. The following year, a site was chosen on the southeast corner of Church and Second Streets to build a sanctuary.

 

Many people from the congregation and from the hamlet of Kennedy pooled their time, talent and finances to honor the Lord and build the Sanctuary. The building was completed in 1879 under the pastorate of Rev. Milton Smith. The church, with modifications, stands on the same location today.


The original structure had an impressive steeple that for safety reasons, had to be torn down in 1916. This was the same year that Kennedy Methodist Episcopal Church became a two - point charge with the Ellington Methodist Church. The churches have each been served by their own pastor since the year 2000.


The advent of the 1950’s and 1960’s saw a great surge in our Sunday School attendance. A building program was begun and a new Sunday School wing and fellowship hall with kitchen were added.

 

In 1962 the bell of the Corydon Church from Kinzua Dam was installed in the Kennedy Church. It remains in the church although the bell tower has been sealed off.


Although our name has changed over the years, our ministry to our community and to the world continues into the future! We began as the Methodist Society, changed to the Methodist Episcopal Church, then dropped “Episcopal’, being called only the Methodist Church until the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist Church in1968. We were then named the First United Methodist Church of Kennedy.


As with every church, the work of ministry is done by the people who attend the church. There has been a multitude of people over the years! We thank them and praise the Lord for their stewardship of their gifts, time and talents. In addition to the lay ministers of the church, there have been many pastoral leaders over the years.